John Wheatley has sent in details of the Chiltern Hundred Challenge 2008, which will be held on Sunday 1st June 2007. There are three rides available on the day. Full details are available on www.chiltern-hundred.org.uk .
Here are some of the headlines –
- The Gran Fondo will be 171km (107 miles) long, with ascent of 2,620m. The ride is an uncompromising romp across 171 km of the toughest and most picturesque terrain in the Chilterns. From Great Missenden the route runs north east through Chesham, Berkhamstead, to Dunstable Downs before heading south west along the Chilterns scarp slope.
- The Medio Fondo is 102km (63 miles) long climbing 1,730m. This event offers a tough 63 mile ride. This ride splits from the Gran Fondo shortly after the start and goes north through Ballinger Common before rejoining the Gran Fondo for the descent of Aston Hill en route to Wendover. It then follows the same route as the Gran Fondo to the finish.
- The Corto Fondo incorporating the Amersham Road Cycling Club 80km (50 mile) challenge. An undulating ride for all-comers. The route will be independent of the Gran Fondo and Medio Fondo and takes an undulating route across the Aylesbury plain before returning to the Chilterns and Great Missenden.
- The event will be much larger in 2008 with an entry limit of 400 riders on the line.
- All riders will be timed using transponder chips.
- For 2008 a team event will be added to the individual event.
- The HQ in Great Missenden.