Willesden Cycling Club – Road Races
Sunday, 16th September 2018
Dulcie Walker Memorial Road Race
(Regional B, Band 4: 3/4/W/J)
(sign-on 8.30am to 9:00am)
* * * Prizes from 1st to 15th * * *
John Walker Trophy Road Race
(National B, Band 2: E/1/2)
(sign-on 12:45pm to 1:30pm)
* * * Prizes from 1st to 15th ***
- The anticlockwise circuit starts on the A329, north of Little Milton, heading south through the village.
- It then turns east onto the B480 at Stadhampton, running south-east past the southern boundary of Chalgrove Airfield.
- The route the turns left off the B480 on to an unclassified road, heading north-east to Stoke Talmage, crossing Haseley Brook and then passing under the M40 before turning north-west onto the A40 (Tetsworth High Street).
- The circuit continues west along the A40, crossing the finish line that is approximately 200m to the east of the junction of the A40 with the A329.
- The route then turns south-west, back over the M40, then along the A329 to complete the lap in Little Milton.
- There are no significant climbs to negotiate.
Race HQ and Sign-on
The Race HQ is at –
The Pine Lodge,
Little Milton Village Hall,
Please ensure that you park in the field adjacent to the Village Hall/Race HQ (the main car park will be kept free for the race vehicles).
Please sign on at least 30 minutes before the start of the race. Failure to do so will mean that the race organiser may give your number to a reserve rider.
Please take away all of your rubbish. Empty gel packs should be put back in your pocket after use.
Please go straight to the HQ after the finish of the race; please do not wait for friends at the finish line.
Race History and Trophies
The “John Walker Trophy” is a E/1/2 Road race and is the pinnacle of all Willesden CC events. The winner will have their name engraved on the the prestigious and impressive trophy, which is a salute to John Walker. John was a great wit and raconteur in the Willesden CC and for many years he was the Master of Ceremonies at our annual club dinner. John was an avid jazz fan and his bike was badged up as a Stan Getz to honour the great American jazz saxophonist. John was also a creative and artistic person who had a talent for airbrushing incredibly intricate and dark satanic designs on to custom motorbikes.
John Walker Trophy – previous winners
2017 Jake Hales, Spirit Tifosi Racing Team
2016 Matt Cronshaw, Madison Genesis
2015 Tristan Robbins, Madison Genesis
2014 Elliot Porter, JLT Condor
2013 Lewis Atkins, Pedal Heaven RT
2012 Matt Cronshaw, Node 4 Giordana RT
2010 David Mclean, Velosport Pasta Montegrappa
2009 Marcin Bialoblocki, Wilier Live to Ride
2008 Dan Staite, Python Racing Team
2007 Clive Nicholls
2006 Race cancelled
2005 Robert Hud, Bioagrico Fabelec Selexion
2004 Colin Roshier, Team Quest
2003 Danny Axford, Arctic Tacx RT
2002 Mark Lovatt, Compensation Group RT
2001 Justin Hoy, Evans Cycles RT
2000 Danny Axford, Arctic Tacx RT
1999 Gordon McCauley, Kingsnorth International Wheelers
1998 George Rose, Cardiff JIF
Dulcie Walker Memorial Road Race, is a 3/4/W/J race. The winner will have their name engraved on the “Dulcie Walker Poniard” (a ceremonial tapered knife). Dulcie Walker was John Walker’s mother. She is also remembered as a quite a character and is thought to be the first woman to hold a motor cycle licence in the UK.
Previous winners –
2017 Danny Axford, Artic Tacx RT
2016 James Kingsley, Watford Velo Sport
2015 Luke Souter, Shutt VR / Digital Keystone
2014 Alexander Evangelidis. London Dynamo
2013 Tim Edwards, LBRCC
2012 Richard Stanton, Arbis LLP Roy Pink Cycles
2010 Roger Prior, Zappi’s Cycling Club
2009 Thomas Moore, Cambridge University CC
2008 Ben De Wet
2007 Roy Chaimberlain, Alpha Road Club
2006 Race cancelled
2005 John Wager
2004 Marc Freullet, Team Quest
2003 Thomas Wright, Oxford City RC
2002 Simon Henley, Evans RT
2001 Ashlet Freeman
2000 Adam Henley, Team Milton Keynes
1999 Martin Freeman, Wills Wheels CC
Compiled by Miles Back
Humble Flag holder and Tabard bearer