Earlier this year Gerry McManus had a great spring training week at a bike hotel in Riccione on the Italian Adriatic Coast. He had such a good time that he intends to return for the week of 23rd to 30th April in 2016 and he is throwing open an invitation to all his Willesden CC clubmates to join him.
Gerry will co-ordinate the bookings with the Hotel, but you will need to arrange your own travel out there, either by plane, car, train or even possibly ……by bike!!??
The hotel is called the “Gambrinus” and for the past 14 years it has run early season training camps along the lines of those in Majorca and also other hotels in Italy.
The hotel is rated as a 3 Star and is close to the sea front in Riccione (see map below).
There are three kinds of rooms available, Olympia, Sport Quality and Family suite.
The “Olympia” rooms are situated at the front of the hotel. They are more spacious and have been recently renewed.
The “Sport Quality” rooms are situated mainly at the sides and rear of the Hotel.
The “Family-Suite” is made up of two rooms with sliding doors and a bathroom with bath. One room is bigger and has a double bed, the other one has two sofa-beds.
All rooms have direct-dial telephone, SAT-TV, independent air conditioning system, a safe, hair-dryer, private balcony, bathroom with shower-box or bath.
The prices below include a 5% discount if we book early and are per day, per person and on a SUPER HALF-BOARD basis. The SUPER HALF-BOARD includes:
- bed & buffet breakfast
- A generous “Big Snack” when you return from your ride. This includes pasta, buffet salads, cold cuts, vegetables, cheese, fruit salad, yoghurt and home-made cakes.
- Evening meal with wine and water
The buffet breakfast is served on the veranda. There is a choice of three evening menus with fish dishes every day and a generous buffet of starters.
The hotel is air-conditioned throughout and also has a garden.
Olympia double room – €52.25 pppd
Sport Quality double room – €48.00 pppd
Single room – €57.95 pppd
Included in the above prices is :
1. Free transfer from Riccione railway station to Hotel Gambrinus.
2. Romagna wine and water served with dinner; water served with the “Big Snack”.
3. A special dinner with fine wines tasting.
4. Free admission to the municipal Olympic swimming-pools (covered and open air).
5. Access to all the facilities of a Fitness centre (sauna, Turkish bath, Technogym equipment).
6. Exclusive Cycling Guides (for road and MTB) will accompany us during our rides out into the Romagna countryside. Guiding is available six days a week (except Saturday). The cycling groups differ in their speed and in the length of the routes to suit all levels.
7. Laundry service for your cycling clothes.
8. Secure and equipped bike store room.
9. Garden area for bike washing and repairs.
10. A Welcome Drink with information on the weekly programme (every Saturday at 19h00).
11. Brochures for the cycling routes and small maps.
12. Arrangements with a workshop and with a specialized shop in repairing bikes.
13. Internet point and Free WiFi.
14. City-bicycles for guests use locally.
15. A beach cabin (100 mt. from our Hotel).
16. Free parking in the Hotel’s car park.
ON REQUEST (for an extra charge):
1. A physiotherapist for sports or relaxing massages in the hotel.
2. A meal at the Country Holiday Farm during one of your daily rides.
Tourist Tax is not included in the above prices
It amounts to €1.50 per person, per overnight stay, for a maximum of 7 overnight stays. Children under 14 years of age are exempt. The tax is to paid in cash.
The Hotel Gambrius is offering us a 50% discount on the hire of their Fondriest Carbon bikes. The discounted price is €49.00. All are equipped with Compact crank set 50/34 front and 11/28 cassette. All them have a basic computer and a puncture repair kit.
The Gambrius has four guides to cater for all levels of cyclist. They all have an in-depth knowledge of the routes of the beautiful roads of Romagna and Marche. The Guides are –
A professional cyclist from 2005 to 2010 with team Acqua e Sapone. For the last three years he has provided guests with all the training expertise that you can expect from a former professional.
Both a cycle guide and singer! He has been a cornerstone of the Gambrinus for some time. When not cycling Paolo plays the guitar and apparently has an amazing voice.
Both a cycle guide and dancer! He is one of the most experienced guides. Ivan can lead groups of all levels. All without neglecting his other profession as a dancer.
Roberto is my kind of guide! He is the darling of cyclists who do not have to rush, who want to take pictures and find out more about the the medieval villages his routes will take you too. Roberto is also a lover of mountain biking
The nearest Airports are either Bologna or Ancona (Ryanair).
From Bologna Airport
Bologna airport is served by Easyjet, Alitalia, British Airways and Ryanair. You will need to get the shuttle bus from the Airport to Bologna Station, this will cost €6 and take about 20mins. From Bologna station you will need take a train to Riccione, about 80-90mins, costing between €9.00 and €15.00 depending on the train service.
The Hotel Gambrius will pick you up from Riccione station for free.
From Ancona Airport
Ancona airport is approximately 12 km (6 NM) west of Ancona. It is served from the UK (Stansted) by Ryanair. There is an hourly bus service (7.45 to 23:15 Mon to Saturday. Limited service on Sunday). Alternatively take a taxi transfer to the station (about 20 minutes, cost unknown). From Ancona station the train trip to Riccione is about 50-70 minutes and cost is between €5.90 and €11.00 (depending on train service).
The Hotel Gambrius will pick you up from the Riccione station for free.
For further information contact Gerry on email@example.com